August 6, 2009

I'm not a Movie Critic - "The Ugly Truth" & "Funny People"

Alright, well i'm not a movie critic, because what do critics do? Criticize? Critique? I'm sorry but these words carry negative connotations, and I'm not about that haha. Then what do I do if i don't critique? I have no idea.

The Ugly Truth

So I saw this one last week, and I must say that before I saw it, I honestly thought it looked kinda interesting. Call me a homo, call me soft, ionno it looked intriguing haha. And that's pretty much what it was. To those who like movies with a solid plot and substance, don't go see this. The acting couldn't have been any better for a movie of this subject, and the plot was very cliche (go figure). However it didn't take away from the funny parts of the movie. I think rottentomatoes.com was kind of harsh on their rating of the movie, though. Cmon, just give it a chance!

Rating:
I go to see movies to be entertained, and with all the sex jokes, hey, it was hard not to be. This one i thought wasn't exactly plain jane, but it also wasn't the cat's pajamas...

Funny People

I saw this one yesterday with high hopes. Let's just say that it met my expectations and went over just a tad bit. Compared to "Knocked Up" and "The 40-year-old Virgin", I'd say that Apatow hit a sense of maturity in this one. Sure, there's plenty fart jokes and penis jokes, but they're all appropriate for the characters: plus, who wants to watch a serious movie with Adam Sandler, Seth Rogan, and Jonah Hill? No one. Did I mention that RZA and Eminem made an appearance? And did I mention that both of them were HELLA hilarious? Anyway, the downfall to this film was that it was a whopping 2 hours and something minutes. I must say that the climax was right in the middle, and just when I was satisfied, hey, there was another hour left! Uh oh. The first hour was all fun and games, but in the second, things got awfully serious, and it is for this that I thought the movie had reached a more mature/profound level. And to be honest I never really anticipated any of this, neither did the audience. Now I know why friend's have given me mixed reviews about this movie.

Rating:
Apatow and Sandler came correct with the jokes and all the funniness, but to the audience it would seem that the deeper parts (second half) of the movie came as a surprise. Nonetheless it was dope, and I thoroughly enjoyed all 2 hours and something minutes of it.

No comments: